This spiced walnut cake with a brandy syrup is prosperous with the scent of cloves, cinnamon and orange.
Aug 31, 2010 2:00pm
- 55 mins cooking
- Makes 18 Item
- 9 eggs, separated
- 3/4 cup (165g) caster (superfine) sugar
- 1/3 cup (80ml) brandy
- 3/4 cup (180ml) orange juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cup (180g) finely chopped walnuts
- 1 1/2 cup (150g) packaged breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon every ground cloves and allspice
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
- 1 cup (220g) caster (superfine) sugar
- 2 cup (500ml) water
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 strip orange rind
Preheat oven to 200°C. Grease deep 20cm x 30cm ovenproof dish; line with baking paper, extending paper 5cm over short aspects.
Beat egg yolks and 1/2 cup (110g) of the sugar in miniature bowl with electric mixer unless gentle and fluffy. Transfer mixture to gargantuan bowl; dash in brandy, juice and extract, then nuts, breadcrumbs and sifted spices and soda.
Beat egg whites in gargantuan bowl with electric mixer unless serene peaks make. Gradually add final sugar, beating unless sugar dissolves between additions; fold into walnut mixture, in two batches. Pour mixture into dish.
Bake cake about 40 minutes. Chilly cake in dish.
Meanwhile, to construct syrup dash substances in miniature saucepan over warmth unless sugar dissolves. Lift to the boil; boil, uncovered, without stirring, 10 minutes.
Pour hot syrup over cake.