Total time: About 1 hour
Exclaim: Tailored from “The Pioneer Girl Cooks” by Ree Drummond.
3 pounds cube steak
3 cups milk, divided, extra as wanted
2 1/3 cups flour, divided, extra as wanted
2 teaspoons seasoned salt
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, extra if you happen to could tackle it
1 teaspoon unlit pepper, plus extra for seasoning the steaks and gravy
Canola or vegetable oil for frying
1. Open with an assembly line of dishes for the meat, egg and milk combination, and flour combination.
2. Pound the cube steaks till extremely refined (if already pounded, pound a little bit extra to be definite they’re sufficiently refined), and reduce the steaks into smaller objects within the occasion that they are better than 5 to 6 inches in diameter (this could occasionally carry out them more straightforward to bread and fry). Blueprint the ready steaks within the first dish.
3. Beat the eggs and 1 cup milk within the 2d dish with a fork.
4. Within the third dish, mix 2 cups flour with the seasoned salt, paprika, cayenne and unlit pepper.
5. Evenly season a fraction of meat with a pinch every of salt and pepper. Then, dip the meat into the milk and egg combination on every aspect to coat. Blueprint the meat on the seasoned flour, turning to evenly coat every aspect. Dip the meat within the milk and egg combination as soon as extra to coat, then the flour combination as soon as extra to coat fully. Blueprint the ready steak onto a rack on a baking sheet and repeat with the edifying steaks.
6. In a plentiful forged-iron or heavy-bottom skillet, heat one-third cup oil over medium-excessive heat. When the oil is sufficiently heated (I drop about a sprinkles of flour, if it sizzles, it’s ready!), fry 2 to a pair objects of meat at a time (be careful no longer to crowd). Cook on one aspect till the aspects originate as much as search golden brown, about 2 1/2 minutes, then flip over and fry till the diverse aspect is golden, yet another 2 to a jiffy, adjusting the warmth as wanted.
7. Protect the steaks to a paper-towel-lined plate and back warm. Repeat till all of the meat is fried, adding a little bit extra oil if wanted. Location the steaks apart in a warm position whilst you carry out the gravy.
8. To carry out the gravy, pour the grease from the skillet into a heat-proof bowl. Without cleansing the pan, return it to the diversity over medium-low heat. Add one-fourth cup of the grease encourage to the pan, discarding any edifying grease.
9. Sprinkle one-third cup flour evenly over the grease. The disclose of a lag, mix the flour with the grease, creating a golden brown paste, or “roux.” You desire the roux to realize a deep, rich color. If the paste seems extra oily than pasty, sprinkle in extra flour, a tablespoon at a time, till the upright consistency is accomplished.
10. When the roux is golden-brown, lag in 2 cups milk, then reside up for the gravy to come to a gradual boil. The gravy will thicken gradually, nonetheless if it seems too thick initially, add a little bit milk as wanted, whisking to combine. The final cooking course of should take 4 to 5 minutes. Add extra salt and pepper as desired, tasting to guarantee that it’s seasoned adequately. Below-seasoned gravy is one in every of existence’s huge sacrileges.
11. Blueprint the nice and comfy meat on a plate and drizzle over the gravy as desired. Support this to a hungry cowboy and likewise you’ve earned an admirer for existence.
Each and every serving: 604 energy; 59 grams protein; 43 grams carbohydrates; 1 gram fiber; 25 grams tubby; 7 grams saturated tubby; 183 mg. cholesterol; 650 mg. sodium.