Cook time for dinner
1 hour 25 minutes
4 to 6
Watch This Recipe
Grandma Utley’s Country Captain Rooster
(3-pound) rooster, gash into 8 items
Salt and pepper, for seasoning
All-motive flour, for dusting
bacon grease or butter
medium white onion, thinly sliced
gigantic bell pepper, thinly sliced
garlic cloves, thinly sliced
(28-ounce) cans overwhelmed tomatoes
1 1/2 teaspoons
chopped parsley, plus just a few leaves for garnish
slivered almonds, toasted
cooked rice, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-excessive heat. Season the rooster items with salt and pepper and dirt with flour. Once oil is hot, fry the rooster items, turning every so customarily, unless browned on every side, about 8 to 10 minutes. Tackle rooster from pot and place on a plate, then tent with foil. Wipe Dutch oven elegant.
- Return Dutch oven to stove over medium heat. Melt bacon grease (or butter). Add onion, pepper, and garlic and cook unless softened and beginning to brown, about 8 to 10 minutes. Hurry in overwhelmed tomatoes and lift to a simmer. In the reduction of warmth to low and let simmer for 15 to 20 minutes. Season with salt, white pepper, curry powder, parsley, and thyme and simmer for 5 more minutes. Return the rooster items to the Dutch oven and nestle down into sauce, spooning sauce over the total items.
- The utilization of the lid as a recordsdata, label and gash out a circle of brown paper. Space the paper over top of the rooster and veil pot with the lid. Put pot into oven and cook for forty five minutes.
- Tackle pot from oven. Carefully purchase the rooster items from the pot and place them in the center of a huge platter. Hurry the almonds and dried currants into the sauce. Spoon the rice across the rim of the platter surrounding the rooster. Pour the sauce over the rooster and rice. Garnish with parsley and attend.