Assemble your subsequent patty with lentils and sweet potato
By Karen Palmer/Feb. 14, 2013 9:35 pm EST
Our affection for lentils is twofold: The smartly being-minded side of us adores their excessive protein and folate ranges, whereas our palate craves the legumes’ earthy style. Our Test Kitchen’s falafel-style lentil burgers are both nutritious and pretty: Sunless beluga lentil patties are beefed up with sweet potato, crimson onion, panko breadcrumbs and spices, then stuffed into mini pitas and slathered with tangy feta-yogurt-mint sauce. Place two patties staunch into an infinite pita for a more colossal sandwich. Both manner, prepare to drop in adore.
Recipe from the Tasting Desk Test Kitchen
Falafel-Vogue Lentil Burgers With Feta Sauce
That it is probably going you’ll no longer whisk over the meat with our Test Kitchen’s falafel-style lentil burgers with feta sauce.
- ⅔ cup unlit beluga lentils (or green lentils), rinsed
- ½ medium sweet potato, peeled and slash into ½-toddle cubes
- 4 cups water
- ½ minute crimson onion, finely chopped
- 1 huge egg
- ⅔ cup whole-wheat panko breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried marjoram
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1½ teaspoons kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground unlit pepper
- Nonstick pan spray
- Four 4-toddle whole-wheat pitas or two huge whole-wheat pitas
- 1 vine-ripened tomato, cored and thinly sliced Sauce
- 3 tablespoons crumbled feta cheese
- ½ cup undeniable low-chubby yogurt
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped contemporary mint leaves
- ½ teaspoon ground sumac (elective)
- Assemble the burgers: In a medium saucepan, add the lentils, sweet potato and water and bring to a boil over medium-excessive warmth. Lower the warmth to medium-low and gently simmer unless the lentils and potatoes are still, about 25 minutes. Drain the aggregate by a beautiful-mesh sieve and transfer the lentil combination to a food processor.
- To the lentil combination, add the onion, egg, panko breadcrumbs, sesame seeds, cumin, marjoram, oregano, sumac (if the usage of), salt and pepper. Pulse unless coarsely chopped, about five 1-2nd pulses. Shape the aggregate into four 4- to 4½-toddle patties, each and each about ½ toddle thick.
- Warmth an infinite nonstick skillet over medium warmth. Frivolously coat the skillet with nonstick pan spray and add two of the lentil burgers. Cook unless the burgers are browned, 3 to 4 minutes, then flip and cook on the assorted side, about 3 minutes more. Switch to an infinite plate and repeat with essentially the most attention-grabbing patties.
- Assemble the sauce: To a medium bowl, add the feta cheese, then expend a fork to cave in it. Dart within the yogurt and mint.
- Gash birth each and each pita to originate 2 round slices. Mumble a lentil burger on 4 bottom rounds and high each and each with a couple of of the feta sauce and a few tomato slices. Top with essentially the most attention-grabbing pita rounds. Abet straight away. Energy per Serving: 340; Sodium: 1030mg; Total Carbohydrate: 54g; Fiber: 8g; Paunchy: 6g