- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 14-ounce cans sunless beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 14-ounce can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes, juices reserved
- sliced scallions, to garnish (no longer mandatory)
- Heat oil in a trim, heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat, then add onions and garlic and saute till softened and golden brown — about 10 minutes.
- Add the squash and cook dinner for 3-5 minutes, then scamper in chili powder, cumin and coriander till onion mixture and squash are nicely-covered.
- Add beans, vegetable stock and tomatoes with juice and produce to a boil.
- Decrease heat and simmer till squash is gentle (nonetheless no longer falling apart), about 20 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste, and help garnished with scallions, bitter cream and cheddar.