about 1 cup
I tailored Dana Jacobi’s Indonesian Beggar’s Rooster, from her “Clay Pot Cooking,” to manufacture this versatile stove-prime sauce. We use this loads. Truly, I recurrently originate a quadruple batch (why now now not? It takes simplest just a few extra minutes.) so I comprise loads to freeze for later use. The sauce goes neatly with any grilled, fried, broiled or roasted fish, pork or rooster, and it is a knock-out addition to braised tofu. Develop this sauce as hot as you like, or now now not all, by alongside with (or now now not) no matter chilies or hot sauce lunge neatly alongside with your model. Nonetheless you employ this . . . . I rep hope you skills it. ;o) —AntoniaJames
1 one-shuffle cube of solid, seeded tamarind pulp (furthermore identified as “tamarind paste”)
Vivid handful of cilantro, alongside with stems
3-4 garlic cloves, or extra to model, peeled
2 anchovy fillets, mashed, or an equivalent amount of paste
2 or 3 medium shallots
2 tablespoons naturally fermented soy sauce (one with a rich model, and now now not too salty)
1 or 2 chilies, of no matter model you seize, seeded (or now now not, as you like)
Salt and pepper
1 tablespoon canola or various honest vegetable oil
- Place the cilantro, garlic, tamarind, soy sauce, onion, shallots, anchovies or anchovy paste, and the juice of half of of one lime into your meals processor. Pull the tamarind apart into shrimp pieces sooner than striking into the meals processor, to originate definite that there are now now not any laborious seeds in it. Add the chili or chilies, if utilizing.
- Task for approximately ten seconds, pickle down, direction of some other time, pickle down and, if valuable, direction of a third time. You wish the pieces to be shrimp and the mix neatly mixed, but you rep now now not favor a puree.
- Warmth the vegetable oil in a shrimp, heavy saucepan with a lid. Before it begins to smoke, add the onion, cilantro and tamarind combination and gallop neatly. Simmer for approximately ten minutes, stirring as soon as in a whereas. Place the lid on and put aside. It goes to have faith, unrefrigerated, for just a few hours. Or, at this point, it is doubtless you’ll well per chance also build it in a covered container into the refrigerator. It goes to have faith for just a few days there.
- Quickly sooner than serving, bring the sauce to a magnificent simmer over medium warmth. Add the rice wine and cook for a minute or two. (If your advance of cooking the fish, rooster or meat with which you are utilizing this lets you score pan juices, by all technique, rep so. Power and add them to the sauce at this point.)
- Style the sauce and add extra lime juice — or a pinch of sugar if the sauce looks too tart — and additional salt, if valuable, to model.
- Revel in!!
- N.B.: TO MAKE A TAMARIND GLAZE: Soften a one-shuffle cube of tamarind paste in a shrimp bowl with about two tablespoons of very hot water. Let it sit down, stirring as soon as in a whereas, for on the least ten minutes. Press the tamarind pulp via a ravishing strainer. Add the juice of half of a lime and a teaspoon of pure soy sauce. Breeze neatly and use to glaze fish, rooster or meat, in direction of the tip of the cooking direction of. ;o)
Understanding pickle, resolve pickle. Place a ask to questions; ask solutions. Disrupt, with kindness, courtesy and appreciate. ;o)