- 1 cup all-cause flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter, softened
- 2/3 cup plus 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest (optional)
- 1 mountainous egg
- 1/2 cup neatly-shaken buttermilk
- 1 cup sleek blackberries
- Preheat oven to 400°F with rack in center. Butter and flour a 9-mosey spherical cake pan.
- Hotfoot collectively flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt and field apart. In a bigger bowl, beat butter and 2/3 cup sugar with an electrical mixer at medium-high tempo till light and neatly mixed, then beat in vanilla and zest, if the employ of. Add egg and beat neatly.
- At low tempo, mix in flour mixture in three batches, alternating with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour, and mixing till factual combined.Spoon batter into cake pan, smoothing high. Put collectively blackberries evenly over high and sprinkle with final 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar.
- Bake till cake is golden and a wooden buy inserted into center comes out neatly-organized, 20 to 25 minutes. Cold in pan 10 minutes, then turn out onto a rack and frigid to warm, 10 to quarter-hour more. Invert onto a plate.