Sautéed Escarole Recipe
Escarole is a large ingredient within the Italian-American pantry, so one will survey it usually on an Italian-American table. Escarole has repeatedly been abundant in American markets, whereas the darkish-inexperienced vegetables comparable to chicory and broccoli rabe made their look worthy later. The long-established recipe for sautéed escarole is escarola strascinata, “dragged” within the pan with garlic and oil. On this rendition, the addition of anchovies and shadowy olives create it extra festive and offers the dish extra complexity.
Click here to detect Lidia Bastianich’s Clutch on Italian-American Delicacies.
- 3 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, beaten
- 3 anchovy fillets
- 1 pound escarole, leaves trimmed and separated
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, plus extra as wished
- 1/4 cup pitted oil-cured shadowy olives
- Warmth the olive oil in a gleaming skillet over medium warmth. Add the garlic and anchovies, and cook dinner, stirring, till the anchovies dissolve, about 2 minutes.
- Add the total escarole leaves to the skillet, with a miniature water from washing composed clinging to them, and season with the salt. Plod within the olives. Once the escarole begins to wilt, duvet the skillet and cook dinner till the leaves are gentle, about 8-10 minutes. Test infrequently to create sure the pan is no longer dry; if it is, add a few tablespoons of water and duvet again.
- Once the escarole is wilted and quiet, represent and cook dinner for one more 1-2 minutes to evaporate any extra liquid. Season with extra salt (conserving in suggestions that the anchovies and olives occupy salt), and attend warm.