A lawful shiraz, the king of the reds, provides depth and complexity to the gravy in these delightful exiguous beef shiraz pies.
Sep 02, 2012 2:00pm
- 2 hrs Forty five minutes cooking
- Serves 6
- 750 gram beef chuck steak, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoon undeniable flour
- 1/4 cup (60ml) olive oil
- 1 medium (150g) brown onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium (120g) carrot, finely chopped
- 2 stalks (300g) celery, trimmed, finely chopped
- 2 clove garlic, beaten
- 1/2 cup (125ml) shiraz
- 1/2 cup (125ml) beef stock
- 400 gram can diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoon recent thyme leaves
- 1 egg, evenly whisked
- 2 1/4 cup (335g) undeniable flour
- 125 gram frosty butter, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup (120g) bitter cream
Preheat oven to 200°C/180°C fan forced. Grease a six-hole 180ml (3/4 cup) Texas muffin pan with oil.
Toss beef in flour and shake away extra. Heat half the oil in an out of this world frying pan and cook dinner beef, in batches, till browned. Transfer beef to three litre (12 cup) ovenproof dish.
Heat remaining oil in the identical frying pan. Cook onion, carrot, celery and garlic, stirring, till softened. Add wine and produce to the boil. Streak in stock, undrained tomatoes and thyme and produce to the boil. Pour mixture over beef. Simmer, covered, for 2 hours. Season. Space apart to chill.
Meanwhile, for the bitter cream pastry, job flour, butter and salt, to taste, in a food processor till crumbly. Add bitter cream and job till formulation barely cling together. Knead dough on floured floor till gentle. Enclose in plastic wrap and refrigerate for half-hour.
Roll two-thirds of the pastry between sheets of baking paper till tremendous adequate to decrease six 13cm rounds. Press pastry into pan holes and brush edges with egg. Divide beef mixture among pastry circumstances.
Cut six 9cm rounds from remaining pastry and hold over filling. Press edges firmly to seal and brush tops with egg. Cut a exiguous nick in high of every pie.
Bake pies for half-hour or till browned. Stand for five minutes forward of serving.
Any dry red wine will also be outdated on this recipe, if most standard. This recipe is pleasurable to freeze but no longer pleasurable to microwave.