These crispy Afghani fry breads from blogger Malin Elmlid are good with the gleaming and nutty cilantro sauce served alongside for dipping.
Advertisement – Proceed Reading Below
- 2 c. All-reason flour
- kosher salt
- 3/4 c. warmth water
- 2 medium leeks, white and gentle green formula handiest, halved lengthwise and prick crosswise 1 go thick
- 1 1/2 tbsp. further-virgin olive oil
- 6 scallions, chopped
- 1 1/2 c. evenly packed cilantro leaves
- 1/3 c. walnuts
- 3 tbsp. original lime juice
- 1 tbsp. honey
- 1 garlic clove
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- Step 1Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. In an infinite bowl, poke the flour with 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt. Invent a smartly in the center of the flour and pour in the water. The usage of a fork, mix the water into the flour until a stiff, shaggy dough starts to come wait on together. Turn the dough out onto a piece ground and knead until soft, about 10 minutes. Wrap the dough in plastic and let relaxation at room temperature for half-hour.
- Step 2Within the period in-between, on an infinite baking sheet, toss the leeks with the olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, stirring as soon as or twice, until evenly charred and soft. Let cool, then toss the leeks with the scallions and season with salt and pepper.
- Step 3In a meals processor, puree the cilantro with the walnuts, lime juice, honey and garlic until soft. Generously season the sauce with salt and pepper.
- Step 4Cut the dough into 6 objects and roll into balls. On a evenly floured work ground, roll out the balls to 6-go rounds, a scant 1/8 go thick. Spoon 2 packed tablespoons of the leek-scallion filling on half of of each spherical. Brush the perimeters with water, then fold the dough over to produce half of-moons. Flatten the breads to press out the air and pinch the perimeters to seal.
- Step 5In an infinite saucepan, warmth 2 inches of vegetable oil to 350 degrees F. In 2 batches, fry the breads until browned and crisp, about 5 minutes per batch. Transfer the fry breads to paper towels and sprinkle with salt. Abet warmth with the cilantro sauce.