Apple Butter Challah
Challah is a ragged Jewish bread served on Shabbat and all thru the holidays. Apples and honey are added to this traditional recipe for Rosh Hashanah, the Jewish Recent Year, to verify a sweet fresh one year. This recipe comes from cookbook author Leah Koenig (The Jewish Cookbook, In style Jewish Cooking).
- 1 1/4 cup warm water (about 110 levels f)
- 1/3 cup plus 1 teaspoon granulated sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon inspiring dry yeast
- 5 cup all-function flour, plus more for kneading
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil, plus more for greasing
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2/3 cup apple butter
- 1 diminutive apple, peeled, cored, and finely chopped, divided
- Drag collectively the water, 1 teaspoon of the sugar, and the yeast in a medium bowl. Let sit down till foaming, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, rush collectively the final ⅓ cup sugar, flour, and salt in a colossal bowl. Field apart.
- Add the oil, honey, and 3 of the eggs to the yeast combination and rush to combine. Create a successfully in the flour combination and pour in the wet combination. Gently rush till the dough begins to originate, then flip out the dough onto a floured surface and knead successfully, including more flour reasonably at a time as important, till a supple dough forms, 10 to 12 minutes. (I veritably add about ⅓ to ½ cup of flour whereas kneading, relying on humidity.)
- Rub about 1 teaspoon of oil all the intention thru the bottom of a colossal bowl, add the dough, and flip to coat; conceal with plastic wrap or a tidy kitchen towel and let sit down in a warm space till virtually doubled in dimension, about 1 hour.
- Grease two 9-saunter round cake pans; space apart. Gently punch down the dough and divide in half of. Working with one share of the dough (and conserving the opposite covered so it would not dry out), roll it into a colossal rectangle about ⅛-saunter thick. Spread ⅓ cup of the apple butter evenly over the prime, and sprinkle with half of of the chopped apple.Starting at the truth is among the long ends, tightly roll the dough in on itself, cherish a jelly roll. Pinch the ends to seal and gently stretch into a 24-saunter rope; coil the rope into a circle and space into the truth is among the prepared pans. Repeat the process with 2d share of dough, the final ⅓ cup of apple butter, and the final apple.
- Jog the final egg in a diminutive bowl and brush the challahs with one coat of egg wash. (Set apart the final egg wash in the fridge.) Let upward thrust for but any other half-hour. Fifteen minutes earlier than baking, preheat the oven to 375 levels F.
- Expose the challah and brush with a 2d coat of egg wash . Bake till deeply browned and cooked thru, 45 to 55 minutes. (An immediate-read thermometer inserted in the center of the loaf could well furthermore silent register 195 levels F.) Engage from the oven and let sit down quarter-hour. Sparsely rob far from the pans and let cool on a wire rack.