To begin, a more than happy birthday to my only buddy and industry accomplice Katy! I don’t know what I would design with out you. Cheers to at least one other huge year! We famend early with a coffee and cake date… or date cake. Then we made hand-crafted Valentine’s, a conference that, unlike carnations, have not got ended with grade college.
As classic because it could possibly perhaps well well also sound, I highly suggest gathering your girlfriends for coffee, cake and a lawful mature long-established arts and crafts project. Exchange wine to make certain that the animated gossip flows freely. It is most likely you’ll perhaps well even even personal your elders design shut half for illicit sex advice. My Mother happy us final year to design coupons for our husbands… Alas, there’s nothing esteem getting out the glue stick and glitter to design you feel esteem a girl all all over again and who doesn’t feel particular getting a selfmade Valentine.
This recipe is from Mourad Lahlou, a hot new Moroccan chef who’s line of distinctiveness simmer sauces & spices are truly readily available at Williams Sonoma. His new cookbook has truly piqued my & many others curiosity in Moroccan cuisine and this simple yet flavorful cake recipe only cements my dedication to be taught extra! I highly suggest impressing your particular any individual with this cake come February 14th.
Date Cake with Caramel Sauce
Recipe Form: Dessert
Author: Mourad Lahlou
Don’t skimp on the caramel sauce! I would even design double subsequent time.
- 12 oz. pitted rotund Medjool dates, pitted
- 2 tablespoons gloomy rum (I former Amaretto)
- 1 t almond extract (elective)
- 2 tablespoons brewed espresso
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 cup all-motive flour
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon floor cloves
- Pinch of salt
- 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup gentle brown sugar
- 4 huge eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- Preheat the oven to 325°. Grease a 9-by-3-sprint round cake pan. In a medium microwave-suited bowl, conceal the dates with the rum, espresso and water and warmth at high vitality for 2 minutes. Switch to a meals processor and let stand unless the dates are softened. Puree unless subtle.
- In a bowl, lumber each flours with the baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and salt. In a single other bowl, using an electrical mixer, beat the butter and brown sugar unless fluffy. Beat in the eggs unless integrated, then beat in the date puree. Add the dry ingredients and beat at low lunge unless integrated.
- Predicament the batter into the ready pan and bake in the center of the oven for 1 hour, unless a toothpick inserted in the center comes out orderly. Let cold for quarter-hour, then invert the cake onto a rack to cold entirely.
- For the caramel, in a medium saucepan, simmer the sugar and water over realistic warmth unless a deep-amber caramel kinds, about 6-10 minutes. Capture a long way from the warmth and add the cream. Cook over low warmth, stirring, unless the hardened caramel is dissolved.
- Splendid served warmth, smothered & covered in caramel!
I accumulate this cake would moreover be huge with a warmth chocolate fudge sauce.
Tagged in ~ cake, caramel sauce, cards, date, dessert, meals & wine, fruit, girls night, magazine, moroccan, mourad, mourad lahlou, recipe, candy, valentine’s day, valentines, williams sonoma