A cabbage-and-watercress salad with excessive crunch
By Karen Palmer/Could perchance perchance honest 16, 2013 3:Forty five pm EST
Our Take a look at Kitchen’s cabbage salad is so great bigger than a slaw. Definite, it highlights the cruciferous vegetable’s pure crunch, nonetheless otherwise it leaves the picnic staple within the dust. Layers of flavor–courtesy of garlic-infused walnut-oil French dressing, watercress, salt-and-pepper-roasted walnuts and new tarragon–construct this mayo-free salad an especially welcome necessary direction or side dish.
Recipe from the Tasting Desk Take a look at Kitchen
Cabbage Salad With Salt-And-Pepper Walnuts, Watercress And Tarragon
Our Take a look at Kitchen’s cabbage-and-watercress salad is draw bigger than a slaw.
- ¼ cup sherry vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, halved
- 1 teaspoon unsalted butter
- ¼ teaspoon freshly floor sad pepper
- ½ cup walnuts, roughly chopped
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 4 cups thinly sliced green cabbage (about ¼ mammoth cabbage)
- 4 cups thinly sliced purple cabbage (about ¼ mammoth cabbage)
- 1½ teaspoons new lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons walnut oil
- 2 cups loosely packed watercress
- 2 tablespoons roughly chopped tarragon
- In a diminutive saucepan set over medium warmth, add the sherry vinegar and garlic halves. Bring the vinegar to a simmer, flip off the warmth, veil and keep for 10 minutes. Bewitch away and discard the garlic halves and pour the warm vinegar correct into a medium bowl.
- In a medium nonstick skillet set over medium warmth, add the butter. Once the butter is melted, add the pepper, cooking till fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the walnuts and ½ teaspoon of the salt, stirring assuredly till the walnuts are warmed via, about 2 minutes. Switch the walnuts to a medium plate and keep.
- To a mammoth bowl, add the green and purple cabbage. To the vinegar, add the lemon juice and the remainder ¼ teaspoon of salt. Whereas whisking, slowly drizzle within the walnut oil till the French dressing is thick and creamy. Pour the French dressing over the cabbage and exhaust your fingers to toss together. Add the watercress, tarragon and walnuts and toss to combine. Divide amongst 6 plates and support. Calories per Serving: 140; Sodium: 270mg; Total Carbohydrate: 9g; Fiber: 3g; Protein: 3g; Elephantine: 11g