Win a vegetarian desire on steak and eggs with butternut squash
By Karen Palmer/Jan. 10, 2013 6:44 pm EST
At the light time, correct about any hearty vegetable can even be reimagined as a “steak.” So when our Take a look at Kitchen experimented with a more healthful version of steak and eggs, they grew to change into to meaty butternut squash, excessive in the antioxidants beta-carotene, vitamin C and manganese. Thickly sliced and merely roasted with maple syrup and smoked paprika, the caramelized slabs of squash are topped with a poached egg, toddler arugula, a sprinkling of chopped red chile and a squeeze of lemon juice. Now that’s what we call a steak, nicely-performed.
Recipe from the Tasting Desk Take a look at Kitchen
Butternut Squash Steak And Eggs
A new desire on steak and eggs, starring butternut squash.
- 1 astronomical butternut squash–peeled, halved lengthwise and seeded
- ⅓ cup maple syrup
- 1½ tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika (pimentón)
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided, plus more to motivate out
- ½ teaspoon distilled white vinegar
- 4 astronomical eggs
- 3 cups toddler arugula
- ½ tiny red chile, finely chopped (ideally a Fresno chile)
- 1½ teaspoons light lemon juice
- Flaky sea salt for serving
- Alter an oven rack to the bottom set apart and one other rack to the heart set apart. Put a baking sheet on the bottom rack and preheat the oven to 400°. Put the squash on a reducing board and slit in half of crosswise to separate the neck from the spherical bottom. Gash the underside half of into ¼-gallop cubes and set apart in a medium bowl. Stand a long fragment on its discontinue and fastidiously slice lengthwise into 2 equal “steaks,” each about ¾ gallop thick. Repeat with the diversified long fragment of squash.
- In a tiny bowl, bound collectively the maple syrup, olive oil, smoked paprika, ¼ teaspoon of the salt and ⅛ teaspoon of the pepper. Drizzle 3 tablespoons of the maple-syrup mixture over the chopped squash cubes and transfer the mix to a baking sheet (now not the baking sheet in the oven).
- Use a pastry brush to coat one aspect of the squash steaks with the final maple syrup mixture. Transfer the steaks, maple aspect down, to the preheated sheet pan and sprinkle the tip aspect with the final ¼ teaspoon salt and ⅛ teaspoon pepper. Repute the baking sheet with the steaks on the underside rack of the oven and set apart the baking sheet with the diced squash on the heart rack. Roast except the squash steaks and cubes are subtle and the steaks start to caramelize, about quarter-hour. Defend both baking sheets from the oven and set apart apart to chilly a miniature bit.
- In a medium saucepan set apart over medium heat, add the vinegar and ample water to reach 3 inches up the perimeters of the pan. Instruct to a boil. Working one at a time, crack each egg into a tiny bowl and fastidiously tip the egg into the boiling water. Repeat with one other egg. Use a slotted spoon to baste the eggs, cooking except the whites are set apart, about 2 minutes. Use the slotted spoon to fastidiously transfer the eggs, one at a time, to a paper-towel-lined plate, and repeat with the final eggs.
- In a medium bowl, combine the arugula and red chile. Season with the lemon juice, add the diced squash and toss to combine. To abet, divide the squash steaks among 4 plates. High with the arugula-squash mixture. In moderation set apart a poached egg over the arugula, sprinkle with sea salt and black pepper and abet straight. Energy per Serving: 280; Sodium: 295mg; Total Carbohydrate: 42g; Fiber: 4g; Stout: 10g