This brown sugar almond pound cake is extremely moist and dense and overflows with almond and caramel taste. The secret twist is the cream cheese heart that bakes and swirls into the cake! Don’t neglect the scrumptious lemon glaze to high all of it off.
One element I’ve realized all the map via my time as a baking blogger is that at times potentially the most efficient recipes reach from inspiration from varied folks. This time round it became my dad. It became his birthday and I needed to treat him to one thing extra particular. This recipe is the embodiment of all the pieces that my dad loves.
So what does he like? He loves almond, darkish cherries, lemon and cheesecake. As I became falling asleep the week sooner than his birthday, this concept floated into my head and I couldn’t shake it. It became all of these combined into a single fabulous element!
One other lesson I’ve realized from baking: at times what you supposed to bake turns into one thing else fully but the discontinuance consequence’s better than that you just can perchance presumably’ve imagined. (Look cream cheese filling farther down the post.)
So I urged! I started with the Barefoot Contessa’s (aka the Queen’s) Lemon Cake that has fabulous opinions but I made a few vital modifications:
- As an replacement of buttermilk, I used bitter cream. Buttermilk is more liquidy than bitter cream, but they’ve the identical honest: they are both acids they veritably both provide barely a few moisture to cakes.
- Because there became barely a few lemon juice within the licensed recipe, it equipped barely a few liquid to the recipe. I knew that it needed to get changed so I used an equal quantity of almond milk.
- As an replacement of the use of all granulated sugar, I went with a majority of brown sugar. Why? I’m biased in direction of brown sugar as a consequence of it offers an even bigger depth of taste, darkens the color the baked right and adds moisture. I needed a wealthy, caramely bread.
- I added many of almond extract. I became jumpy that the brown sugar and almond would compete and neither would rob, but the discontinuance consequence became very finest.
And my well-liked addition? The cream cheese filling. Neatly, the kinda cream cheese filling. I’m no longer particular what to even name it. My inspiration got right here from Averie Cooks. She made banana bread with a layer of cream cheese filling and described it as a puny bit of cheesecake within the bread. It sounded fabulous. So I made the cream cheese filling but as a consequence of my dad loves black cherries, I added some decrease up black cherries. Which it’s doubtless you’ll perchance presumably smartly be welcome to leave out this step or use any fruit that you just’d like! It real swirls so beautifully into the cake as it baked.
When I build the pound cakes into the oven, I became fearful. I the truth is hoped the cream cheese filling would determine, but I became jumpy that I’d stuffed the pans up map too high. I nervously watched for a whole hour, but the cake rose completely and had a nice shining attain.
After it cooled, I covered it with aluminum foil and a flour sack fabric. I stored it over night on the counter high. I concept for a itsy-bitsy bit about what more or less topping I ought to positioned on it. I didn’t are making an try to mix too many flavors, so I became jumpy that a lemon glaze shall be too extra special. But I concept one thing tart would add a right steadiness. I crossed my fingers and made the lemon glaze the next day and drizzled it over the cake. Then I build it within the fridge for a few hours sooner than my family confirmed up.
I needed to wait on till the next to diminish the cake open with my family. I became so angry for the immense train after which…nothing. Which it’s doubtless you’ll survey the cherries. Which it’s doubtless you’ll survey where the cream cheese had baked in and swirled the cherries all over the build, but there wasn’t any cheesecake filling. I became disappointed.
But then a chunk of it changed my ideas. The cream cheese had saturated the cake batter while it became baking and it made it extra moist and dense. And the lemon glaze became the icing on the cake, actually. It became perfection.
My dad and sister raved about it and my mom ate a second fraction (unheard of!). The supreme compliment, though, became from my roommate who doesn’t like overly sweet things: she stored asking me if she can like one other carve the next days.
The ethical of the story? The consequence became better than the imagined concept I had. Despite the reality that it’s no longer a ragged pound cake (ragged pound cakes don’t like leavening), it’s so dense and moist that “pound cake” is potentially the most efficient moniker it deserved.
And don’t be intimidated by the many itsy-bitsy steps! They’re all hasty and straightforward. Despite the reality that this cake has many of like flavors, it comes together barely with out considerations.
My frequent checklist of tips:
- Make certain that you just cream the butter for at the least 5 minutes. This cake doesn’t like barely a few leavening and leavening simplest acts on pre-recent air bubbles. By whipping the butter for five minutes, you add hundreds air bubbles for the leavening to act on.
- Incorporate the eggs one by one. They incorporate more evenly than throwing them all in straight away. You even work the dough less. (Thanks, Cook Illustrated.)
- Use any milk you’d like! I admire almond milk as a consequence of I assume it added to the almond taste of the cake, but one thing else will work! A bigger elephantine snort milk, equivalent to whole milk or half and half, would yield even a moister, denser cake, so give it a try!
- As an replacement of bitter cream, it’s good to utilize buttermilk, Greek yogurt and even gentle bitter cream.
- I used frozen sweet darkish cherries for the cream cheese filling, but you’re welcome to use from now on or less fruit. Raspberries, blueberries, strawberries or blackberries would possibly well perchance be an shapely addition.
Satisfied birthday, dad! Thanks for being potentially the most efficient dad I would possibly well perchance build a quiz to for.
Brown Sugar Almond Pound Cake with Cream Cheese
Recipe Form: Pound cake
Prep time: 40 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour 15 minutes
Complete time: 1 hour 55 minutes
This brown sugar almond pound cake is extremely moist and overflows with almond and caramel taste. The secret twist is the cream cheese heart that bakes and swirls into the cake!
- For the almond pound cake:
- 1 stick butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1 1/2 teaspoons almond extract
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup bitter cream (or Greek yogurt)
- 1/4 cup almond milk (or cow’s milk or soy milk)
- For the cream cheese filling:
- 1 wide egg
- 4 ounces softened brick-model cream cheese
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-reason flour
- For the glaze:
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 2 Tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 Tablespoons sweet darkish cherries, frozen (no longer mandatory or use raspberries, blueberries)
- For the cake:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray one loaf pan with cooking spray after which sugar it with a few 1/4 cup of sugar. You are going to love extra which that you just can build wait on into the sugar jar. Which it’s doubtless you’ll additionally spray the pan with cooking spray after which line it with parchment paper.
- Cream the butter and sugars within the bowl of an electrical mixer fitted with the creep attachment or a hand mixer, till gentle and fluffy, about 5 minutes in remark in confidence to be determined that the cake has right raise. With the mixer on medium velocity, add the eggs, 1 at a time, and the almond extract.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a bowl. In a single other bowl, mix the almond milk and bitter cream. Add the flour and buttermilk combos alternately to the batter, starting build and ending with the flour.
- For the cream cheese:
- Meanwhile, in a wide bowl, add the egg, cream cheese, sugar, flour and no longer mandatory fruit of your need and scuttle to mix. Alternatively, mix with a hand mixer.
- To position all of it together:
- Put a few quarter of the batter into each and every pan (about half of the batter whole.) Then ruin up the cream cheese combination between the two pans. At final, high both pans with the final cake batter. Don’t anxiousness if the pans are very paunchy! This recipe rises simplest a itsy-bitsy bit and won’t overflow.
- Bake for an hour and quarter-hour, or till a toothpick comes out neat.
- Flee a knife alongside the perimeters to loosen up the cake after which let wintry for half-hour. After half-hour, preserve them from the pans.
- For the glaze:
- Soften the butter. Then, mix together all three ingredients. Drizzle over the cake as soon as the cake has cooled for about thirty minutes.
- I served the cake wintry from the refrigerator and it became impossible! In another case, journey smartly pleasant away.
- Whereas you occur to’re going to put it for the next day, quilt it smartly within the fridge. This cake stores for as much as a couple days; be determined that that you just store it in an air-tight container or wrap smartly with plastic wrap so that the cake stays moist.