1 hour Quarter-hour
4 to 6
From Together: Our Neighborhood Cookbook: “Tepsi translates as ‘casserole’ and this is a passe Persian dish of meatballs in tomato sauce with eggplant. It’s pretty rich. That that you would be able to develop it with much less oil, I express, but then it
wouldn’t be so passe—or kind so correct.” -Intlak Alsaiegh
Reprinted with permission from Together: Our Neighborhood Cookbook (Clarkson Potter, $16.ninety nine U.S/$22.ninety nine Can). Pictures by Jenny Zarins. —Food52
Take a look at Kitchen-Accredited
ground pork (3/4 pound)
tidy garlic cloves, minced
eggplants, about 700 grams/1 1/2 kilos, sever into 1 1/2-centimeter/1/2-lag slices
olive oil (1/2 cup)
tidy potatoes, about 500 grams/1 pound, peeled and sever into 1 1/2-centimeter/1/2-lag slices
tidy onion, peeled and sever into 1-centimeter/1/2-lag slices
tidy inexperienced pepper, cored, seeded and sliced
water (1 1/2 cups)
1 1/2 tablespoons
1 1/2 tablespoons
ripe tomatoes, about 280 grams/10 oz., sever into 1-centimeter/1/2-lag slices
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Station the pork and half of of the crushed garlic in a bowl. Add the curry powder and mix by hand till nicely blended. Divide the combination into 12 equal objects and roll into balls. Dilemma apart.
- Heat a tidy non-stick pan over medium–high warmth. Brush both facet of the eggplant slices with olive oil and cook dinner in batches for 4 to 5 minutes on both facet, till golden. Dilemma apart.
- Brush the potato slices with oil and cook dinner within the connected pan for approximately 6 minutes on both facet till golden but now not completely cooked thru. Dilemma apart.
- Within the connected pan, cook dinner the onion slices and inexperienced pepper in about 2 tablespoons of the oil for approximately 5 minutes, till shapely golden. Add the final garlic and cook dinner for 1 more minute. Dilemma apart.
At final, cook dinner the meatballs over high warmth for 2 to a jiffy till nicely browned but now not cooked thru.
- In a measuring cup, mix the water with the tomato paste, tamarind paste, and sugar till nicely blended.
- Dilemma up half of of the eggplant, potato, onion, pepper, tomatoes and meatballs in a 30-centimeter/12-lag round baking dish, overlapping them. Season nicely with salt and pepper, then pour half of of the tomato sauce over the cease. Repeat with the leisure of the vegetables and meatballs. Season nicely again and pour the final sauce on prime.
- Duvet with foil and lid and bake for half-hour, then show and bake for one other 20 minutes. Aid with basmati rice or bread to mop up the sauce.