Skirt steak takes a dip
By Rebekah Peppler/Oct. 18, 2011 3:00 pm EST
Though Steve Corry is an established chef, he learned the secrets and suggestions of classic French cooking from a generous looking residence cook: his wife’s 4-foot 8-trail worthwhile grandmother Jacqueline. At his contemporary Portland, Maine, bistro, Puny Jacqueline, Corry honors his mentor with French dishes that desire classic suggestions. Every so continuously, he’s inspired to stray from custom. For his steak au poivre, he starts with a crimson-wine marinade, which imparts refined flavor and tenderizes the meat. A blanket of black pepper and brandy-laced pan sauce full his flavor-packed twist on a French current. It can well originate any grandmother proud.
Recipe tailored from Steve Corry, Puny Jacqueline, Portland, ME
Steak Au Poivre
A blanket of black pepper and buttery, brandy-laced pan sauce full this flavor-packed twist on a French current.
- 1 cup crimson wine
- 4 sprigs current thyme, divided
- ½ cup flat-leaf parsley, stems removed and discarded, divided
- Four 8-ounce skirt steaks
- Coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- ½ cup brandy
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 2 sticks unsalted butter
- Kosher salt
- Preheat the oven to 350°. In an unlimited container, mix the crimson wine, 2 sprigs of the thyme and ¼ cup of the parsley leaves. Add the steaks and diagram apart to marinate for Half-hour.
- Eradicate away the steaks from the marinade and pat dry. Coat one facet of every steak with the coarsely ground black pepper. In an unlimited oven-proof skillet diagram over medium-high warmth, add the vegetable oil and warmth unless smoking. Add the steaks, pepper-facet down, and sear for 3 minutes. Flip the steaks and residence the pan in the oven. For medium-uncommon (about 125° to 130°), cook for 5 minutes. Eradicate away the skillet from the oven. Eradicate away the steaks from the pan, establish on a plate and diagram apart. Drain the elephantine from the skillet, then residence the skillet motivate on the stove over medium warmth. Add the brandy and crawl for 30 seconds. Add the heavy cream and cook unless reduced by three-quarters, about 5 minutes. Breeze in the butter unless melted and lunge in the last thyme and parsley. Season with salt. Transfer the steaks to dinner plates, spoon the sauce over the meat and again straight.