The cornmeal, the skillet, and the total upside-down industry create for a crispy edge on every portion of cake, with a gentle interior and a gooey, candy caramel glaze.
By Bowen Close
My husband and I moved away from our decade-lengthy house of Southern California on Monday, but before we left we got in about a lawful weeks of the stone fruit. The important thing peaches confirmed up on the Farmers’ Market about a month in the past, and by the point we left, peaches, nectarines, plums, pluots, and other stone fruits admire been overflowing the farm stands. I knew I well-known to catch in some lawful baking in my catch kitchen before we grew to change into nomads for the following twelve months, and per week or so before we left I baked a peach upside-down cornmeal skillet cake to amass to dinner at a friend’s house in Laguna Sea slip. It used to be our final search recommendation from to the beach before we left, but the dinner we had used to be too lawful for me to dwell on that, and this cake used to be the reliable finish to a summer season dinner.
I to beginning with picked out this recipe ensuing from about a peaches in the fridge fast coming into their softest segment of existence, and knew I needed to post it right here ensuing from its improbable resemblance to the cornmeal cookies I posted no longer too lengthy in the past. A little bit less flour, a little extra cornmeal, half of the amount of butter, and the addition of reliable below a cup of buttermilk makes cookies a cake, it appears to be like. Replace a lime glaze for sliced peaches and caramel, and you might well admire a subtle, elegantly straightforward and rustic dessert.
The cornmeal, the skillet, and the total upside-down industry create for a crispy edge on every portion of cake, with a gentle interior and a gooey, candy caramel glaze. The peaches and the cake produce of melt into every other on the finish, making these fruit-adjacent bits of cake specifically savory.
You are going to be ready to with out complications create this cake with any produce of soppy fruit you might well admire in the house, specifically stone fruits and berries. The peaches skedaddle specifically successfully with the caramel sauce, I mediate, but I’m determined other fruits might well perhaps well be gigantic too.
I used a 10-slip cast-iron skillet right here, but my wager is that a 9-slip cake pan would work as successfully. You might well perhaps well must create bigger the baking time about a minutes to create determined the thicker cake is baked all of the capacity via, and reliable create determined you let it wintry a glorious deal in the pan before you flip, to insure against the intelligent fruit and caramel layer staying in the encourage of in the pan.
Recipe is personalized from Rustic Fruit Desserts, by Cory Schreiber and Julie Richardson.
Peach upside-down cornmeal skillet cake
Crisp, fluffy cornmeal cake topped with gooey caramel and candy, juicy peaches.
- Creator: Bowen Close (Bowen Appétit)
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook dinner Time: 40 mins
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 8 1x
- 4 peaches (or fruit, sufficient to quilt the underside of your skillet or cake pan)
- 1/4 cup (2 oz.) butter
- Approximately 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup (4 oz.) butter, room temperature
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Halve and pit the peaches, then reduce every half of into roughly 6 slices. Space apart. (Whenever you’re the usage of specifically little fruits – like little apricots – you might well must exhaust entire fruit halves.)
- Either in a 10-slip cast-iron skillet (in which you’re going to bake the cake) or in a medium-dimension skillet, melt the butter over medium warmth. Add the brown sugar and rush till the sugar dissolves and the aggregate kinds a slightly restful caramel. Decrease the warmth if well-known to defend from burning the caramel.
- If the usage of the solid-iron skillet, arrange the slices of fruit on top of the caramel (if the usage of fruit halves, either the lower or the peel facet can skedaddle down). If the usage of a cake pan, spread the caramel sauce into the underside of the pan and arrange the fruit on top. Space pan, fruit, and caramel apart.
- To create the cake, breeze togethr the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl. Space apart.
- The exhaust of a stand mixer, handheld mixer, or wooden spoon, cream collectively the butter and sugar on till light and fluffy. This might perhaps perhaps perhaps admire to amass about 3-5 minutes in a stand mixer on medium velocity or a handheld mixer on excessive, or about 10 minutes if the usage of a wooden spoon.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating on medium till thoroughly mixed after every. Add vanilla and proceed to beat for one other minute. Predicament down bowl and lunge to create determined all the pieces is thoroughly integrated.
- Slowly add the flour mixture in three additions, alternating with the buttermilk and beginning and ending with the dry substances. Watch out no longer to beat any additional than well-known. Combine most efficient reliable till flour is completely integrated, ending with a wooden spoon if desired.
- Spread the batter on top of the fruit in the pan. Bake for roughly 25-30 minutes, or till the finish of the cake is golden brown and the guts of the cake springs encourage lightly when pressed.
- Cool the cake on a wire rack no longer no longer up to 20 minutes before flipping over onto a flat ground. The cake is handiest eaten the day it is made, but additionally makes a improbable breakfast the following morning.
Bowen Close believes that meals can admire to create other folks completely happy and wholesome, and loves bringing collectively other folks with creative, savory meals made from the coronary heart. She loves making farm-impressed, flavorful dishes with sustainable substances – whether or no longer that is a big plate of roasted veggies, a towering chocolate layer cake, or a cocktail the usage of yard substances – and collects recipes and other meals-associated tales on her web predicament, Bowen Appétit. She is a chef, cooking teacher, and meals creator residing in Southern California with her husband and fully stocked pantry.