This recipe used to be inspired by a variation on Shepherd’s Pie in Eating Successfully Magazine. They substituted mashed squash for the potatoes, and spinach for the peas. I cherished the brand new substances, but didn’t cherish the pie’s texture, nor the indisputable truth that it weak too many pans. (I wash dishes by hand & always rob this into consideration.) I puzzled if I’ll perhaps well perhaps also fabricate a one-pot recipe with a an analogous flavor profile that optimistically tasted even greater. I substituted floor bison for the beef (one among my favourite meats), chunks of butternut squash for the squash puree (more flavor & aesthetic texture), precise garlic quite than powdered (obviously) & selected a tomato-broth low. The final end result is a uncomplicated stew that takes decrease than an hour to manufacture from birth as a lot as attain, and even supposing the ingredient listing is rapid, is stuffed with flavor. A couple of pointers: while you happen to don’t fabricate your dangle vegetable broth, procure a jar of Natural Better than Bouillon – it makes a rapid & flavorful broth. Also, if the belief of peeling a butternut squash makes you wince, purchase your self a Kuhn Rikon Swiss Peeler. It glides over the curves of the squash with ease & this may perhaps well trade your life! (Or no longer decrease than be the most handy $5 you ever spent.) —Gratified Baker
advantageous onion (peeled & chopped)
head of garlic (peeled & minced)
butternut squash (peeled & cubed)
canned tomato sauce (I cherish Muir Glen)
new toddler spinach
- Slit onion & garlic & stammer in advantageous soup pot with olive oil. Cook over medium heat for a couple of minutes, to soften.
- Add bison & brown every aspect, cutting meat into chunks within the course of.
- Add tomato sauce, broth & salt. Raise to boil & then minimize to simmer.
- Peel & de-seed squash. Slit into cubes & add to pot. Simmer for half-hour
- Add toddler spinach closing, cooking for correct 1-2 minutes, till wilted.