about 2 dozen bars
If my childhood had an righteous cookie, it must be my grandmother’s Congo Bars. I’m now not definite if my grandmother used to be the mastermind within the lend a hand of this recipe, but she positively had a unlit belt in baking these gooey items to the area. They’re love a fudgy brownie in texture, but the brown sugar makes them taste caramel-y. Even my half-siblings, who simplest had them a pair of times when visiting on weekends, unexcited rave about these bars. They’re simplest eaten out of a sq.-bottomed glass cookie jar, correct love at Grandma Reilly’s. —Abbie C
Test Kitchen Notes
What a graceful bar cookie! These are a doubtlessly addictive and indulgent afternoon snack; I would possibly also describe the congo bars served, whenever you reduce them higher, as a plated dessert within the comfort food vogue, with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top and a drizzle of chocolate or caramel sauce. The congo bars acquire a fudgy, gooey texture with a little bit of crunch, supplied you embrace the elective walnuts. The brown sugar offers them a butterscotch-y taste that lingers after every bite. I sprinkled mine with a little bit sea salt on top, but they are huge as is, too! —navahfrost
2 1/4 cups
2 3/4 cups
sifted all-purpose flour
2 1/2 teaspoons
bundle semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven to 350° F.
- Soften the shortening in a limiteless saucepan. Mix within the brown sugar, then frigid. Absorb definite you let this mixture frigid fully or your chocolate chips will melt whenever you happen to add them to the batter.
- Mix within the eggs, then mix within the flour, baking powder, and salt. The batter can be stiff.
- Mix within the chocolate chips, nuts, and vanilla extract. I’ve added the vanilla after I’ve added the eggs earlier than, and it would now not appear to carry out a distinction — but Grandma stated to add it right here.
- Unfold batter onto a greased jellyroll pan and bake for 18 minutes.
- Allow to chill, then reduce into sq. formed bars.