Yoghurt chutney goes well with dosas and pudas. It is a great and less time-consuming variation from the more commonly used chutneys, such as coconut chutney.
- ¼ cup chana valley
- 1 tsp oil
- ⅛ tsp asafetida hung
- 1 tsp caraway seeds
- 1 tsp black mustard seeds
- 4 whole red chilies adjust to taste
- ¼ tsp fenugreek seeds mathi dana
- ½ cup yoghurt
- ½ tsp salt-
- Lemon juice based on needs
Dry roast the chana dal on medium heat until the dal has changed color to a light brown. Set dal aside.
Heat the oil in a small frying pan over medium heat.
Fry the red chilies until they turn a dark color.
Add asafetida, cumin, mustard seeds and fenugreek seeds.
Fry for a few seconds until the seeds crackle.
Then grind the chana dal and the spices into a powder and mix with the yogurt.
Add salt and lemon juice if needed.
- Before mixing yogurt, chutney powder can be stored for a few months in an airtight container.
- Mix the yogurt just before serving.
- Mix the chutney powder with cream cheese and use as a sandwich topping.
Originally posted on 2008-05-07 00:24:07.