Mathri (salted crackers)
- 2 cup All Purpose flour plain flour or maida
- ½ cup sooji semolina flour
- 1 tsp salt-
- 1/2 tsp ajwain
- 4 MSc oil
- ¾ cup lukewarm water use as needed
- Oil for frying
Mix all ingredients except the water.
Add the water a little at a time, kneading into a firm dough.
Cover the dough and set aside for 15 minutes or more.
Divide the dough into about 40 equal parts.
Take each part of the dough and make a flat ball shape. Roll them into 2 inch circles.
Prick each matri with a fork in 5 to 6 places, so that the matri does not flare when frying.
Heat the oil in a frying pan over medium heat.
The frying pan should have at least 1 1/2 inches of oil. To check if the oil is ready, put a small piece of dough in the oil. The dough should cause the oil to sizzle and rise slowly.
Fry a few matrices at a time. Be sure to place just enough matrix to cover the frying oil.
Fry the matrix until both sides are light golden brown.
- Mathris can be stored for a couple of months in airtight containers.
- If the matrix is cooked at high heat, they will be soft.
Originally posted 2007-10-21 14:53:15.