The end of summer as we enter autumn is an exciting time. The produce we have available is abundant and we can include both summer ingredients and those that grow in early autumn in our menus. We enjoy farro, an ancient grain that is very popular in central Italy. In Umbria, where we have our farm, farro is used in salads, soups and even as an accompaniment to braised and fried meats. Using farro as a base for your salads creates a hearty salad that can be enjoyed for lunch or dinner.
This salad came about when I had a big bowl of cherry tomatoes on the counter, a couple of zucchini and two corn on the cob in the fridge. I roasted all the vegetables to caramelize them, which brought out the natural sugars and enhanced their flavor. Once my farro was cooked, I carefully tossed my roasted vegetables and farro into a large bowl. I then added a handful of chopped fresh herbs and tossed everything in a lemon based dressing. Just before serving, I crumbled some feta cheese on top, which adds a touch to the sweetness of the roasted vegetables and the nutty flavor of the farro.
Have a nice meal!
Deborah Mele 2022 Free Mp3 Download
2 pints cherry tomatoes, halved
4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1/2 teaspoon sugar,
1 finely chopped garlic clove
Salt & pepper to taste
2 small zucchini, trimmed and cut into 1-inch cubes
2 corn on the cob, kernels removed
2 cups Cooked Farro
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
3 tablespoons chopped fresh mint or basil
1/2 cup lightly toasted pine nuts
3/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
3 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp white balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon of honey
Salt & Pepper to taste
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a bowl, mix together 2 tablespoons of olive oil, sugar, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and scatter the tomatoes on top.
- Roast until the tomatoes are shriveled, about 35 minutes.
- While the tomatoes are roasting, add the zucchini, corn, remaining 2 tablespoons oil, and salt and pepper to a bowl.
- Line a second baking sheet with foil and top it with zucchini and corn.
- Roast until the vegetables are fully cooked and starting to color, about 35 to 40 minutes.
- Cool the vegetables to room temperature.
- In a large bowl, gently toss the farro with the vegetables.
- Whisk together the ingredients for the dressing in a small bowl until combined.
- Add the fresh herbs to the farro and vegetables, then drizzle the dressing on top.
- Turn carefully and then place the salad on a plate.
- Sprinkle pine nuts and feta cheese on top of the salad and serve.
Serving size: 1
Amount per portion:
Calories: 554Total Fat: 40 gSaturated fat: 7gTrans fat: 0gUnsaturated fat: 30 gCholesterol: 17 mgSodium: 285 mgCarbohydrates: 43gFiber: 7gSugar: 13gProtein: 12g