This Mie Goreng recipe is straightforward and fast to make however presents a giant flavour. It’s the one stir-fry noodle recipe you need to hold. Promise.
Mie goreng which accurately means stir-fried noodles is likely one of the hottest meals in Indonesian delicacies. And it is likely one of the most sought-after avenue meals as effectively.
Traditionally, noodles are the affect of Indonesian Chinese language tradition that has been tailored over time. Now, in each area of Indonesia, you will see that native variations of mie goreng/ mee goreng.
Some use skinny egg noodles, and a few use thick ones. Whereas others use curly noodles. However, apparently, all of them use candy soy sauce for flavouring. No shock.
Possibly as a result of this sauce is initially from Indonesia that it has change into one of many staples in Indonesian cooking.
The opposite components for the stir-fry may be diversified.
The fundamental one might be scrambled egg and shredded hen. Different varieties might be slices of bakso (beef meatballs), hen items, prawns, and cuttlefish.
And the most typical greens put within the noodles are bean sprouts, cabbage and/or choy sum.
The recipe that I’m sharing right here relies on the road meals model. So, it’s an easy recipe with none secret components. However, it undoubtedly provides you a flavourful dish of stir-fried noodles. I promise.
You may take pleasure in your mie goreng as it’s, or you’ll be able to have it with a squirt or two of chilli sauce. And in case you don’t have it in your pantry, simply sprinkle some chilli flakes or chilli powder for slightly little bit of kick.
Easy components for Mie Goreng
The unique street-food stir-fried noodles in Indonesia solely use easy components. The important thing to creating tasty Mie Goreng lies within the proportion of every merchandise and flavouring.
So right here is the record of predominant components that you just want:
- Egg noodles.
- Candy soy sauce.
- Gentle soy sauce.
- Salt and floor white pepper.
Moreover, you’ll be able to add spring onion slices and fried onion as a garnish at serving time.
In the case of greens, there is no such thing as a strict rule about what you’ll be able to select. Nonetheless, the Indonesians have a tendency to decide on cabbage or Choi sum. Possibly as a result of these two are quite common and simply accessible.
As for the candy soy sauce, I strongly advocate utilizing Indonesian candy soy sauce. As a result of it provides a greater flavour to our Mie Goreng recipe.
I did attempt a number of manufacturers of non-Indonesian candy soy sauce. I ended up with regrets.
If for some motive, you cannot get the Indonesian candy soy sauce, the easiest way to substitute is by making your individual candy soy sauce. Right here’s how you can make it.
Methods to make an alternative to Indonesian candy soy sauce:
- In a small pan, place ¼ cup/ 60 ml/ 2.03 fl. oz of darkish soy sauce with 3.5 tablespoons/ 52 ml/ 1.83 fl. oz of darkish brown sugar, ideally darkish muscovado sugar.
- Heat it up and stir the soy sauce combination till the sugar dissolves, and the liquid turns into barely thicker and sticky. Put aside.
Methods to make Indonesian stir-fried noodles
Get all of the components prepared beforehand. Lower your hen into small skinny items. Slice the onion and cabbage. Crush the garlic. And put all of the seasoning and flavouring inside your attain.
Then begin boiling sufficient water in a big pot for the noodles. Boil the noodles in line with the directions on their packets, drain and put aside.
As you boil the noodles, fry the onion slices till aromatic then add the crushed garlic, pepper and salt. Cook dinner for a minute or two till it releases aroma, then put the hen items in. Proceed frying at moderate-high warmth as you retain stirring the poultry round. As soon as the hen appears to be like opaque and completely cooked, place the cabbage and the bean sprouts within the hen.
By now, your noodles ought to be prepared and drained. So put the noodles within the wok along with mild soy sauce, candy soy sauce, salt and pepper. And punctiliously stir and blend the noodles and veggies till all are coated evenly with the sauce.
Attempt to style the noodles. Add extra flavouring if wanted.
High suggestions for scrumptious stir-fried noodles
And earlier than you go to your kitchen and take out your wok to make these Indonesian stir-fried noodles, enable me to recommend a couple of issues:
- Select good high quality egg noodles. I attempted a number of completely different manufacturers earlier than I now change into loyal to some. My favorite ones are skinny egg noodles.
- Put together all of your components beforehand. You need them close by and prepared if you begin cooking. As a result of it doesn’t take lengthy to make this stir-fry.
- In the case of cooking any stir-fry with greens, my household and I desire to have them crunchy. Not solely do we expect the stir-fry tastes higher with undercooked crunchy greens, however we discover it’s more healthy as effectively.
- As for the candy soy sauce, please attempt to pay money for Indonesian merchandise. As a result of I did attempt utilizing a couple of non-Indonesian candy soy sauces, however all resulted in a very completely different from what I anticipated.
- Utilizing a skewer or a fork, attempt to pierce your hen items after you season them with pepper and salt. This fashion, your hen items might be tasty too, and never bland.
Extra recipes from the Indonesian kitchen
Thanks for trying out this mie goreng recipe. I hope you’re intrigued to attempt it by now. Let me know in case you do and go away within the feedback under what you consider this recipe. I’ll actually admire it.
And please observe me on Fb, Instagram and/or Pinterest. To sneak a peek at what’s cooking in my kitchen.
Final however not least, don’t neglect to verify my different Indonesian meals recipes that you could be like.
Thanks and all one of the best.