Our outdated of us undeniably love our native kakanin. My mom and father, even my lola and tita once they had been nonetheless alive, are enormous followers of those candy rice truffles. They arrive in forms of taste, colour, form, and texture.
In Malabon, the city the place I grew up in, kakanin will be discovered all over the place. Go to certainly one of our public markets and you will notice a particular part that sells completely different sorts of kakanin with names you in all probability have by no means heard of. Actually, the town is thought for its delectable sapin-sapin, kutsinta, and biko elaborately served in a colourful array on a spherical bilao.
On this weblog publish, I’ll share to you my mom’s recipe for Palitaw. We name it dila-dila in Malabon due to its distinct form (dila means tongue). The title palitaw was derived from how it’s being ready. Palitaw or litaw means “to look,” or on this case, “to drift,” as a result of it begins to drift in water as soon as it’s cooked.
If you wish to discover ways to put together palitaw, consult with the recipe beneath:
- 1/2 kilo glutinous rice (malagkit)
- water (for soaking and boiling)
- 4 cups freshly grated coconut
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds, toasted
- 1 cup white sugar
The right way to put together:
- Soak glutinous rice in water in a single day. This may permit the rice grains to soak up a few of the water. The following day, drain the water. Grind the rice utilizing a miller or a grinder. Should you don’t have any of those, you possibly can carry them to your native market the place you possibly can have it floor. The top result’s a dough of rice flour in a pasty consistency. Should you don’t wish to observe this tedious process, you should purchase prepared-made glutinous rice dough out of your nearest public market. Simply ask your pleasant neighborhood rice vendor.
- In a deep, massive sauce pan, carry water to a boil. The water degree needs to be about 5 inches deep.
- Take a few spoonful of the rice dough and kind it right into a ball between the palms of your arms. Flatten it within the center utilizing your thumb till it takes the form of a tongue.
- Poach the flattened dough into the pot of briskly boiling water. Await a number of seconds. You’ll understand it’s performed when it begins to drift.
- As soon as performed, take away it from water utilizing a spatula with holes. Place the cooked palitaw on a mattress of grated coconut. Flip it over to cowl each side. Put aside.
- Repeat the steps with the remaining rice dough. You’ll be able to poach a couple of piece at a time so long as it’s not overcrowded. Overcrowding the pan will drastically scale back the warmth of the boiling water.
- In a separate small bowl, combine sugar and toasted sesame seeds (Sesame seeds will be toasted for about 2 to three minutes on a scorching skillet over medium warmth). Sprinkle this combination over the cooked palitaw as you serve them.
- Take pleasure in with a scorching cup of tea or espresso.