This can be a standard kind of clam regionally generally known as kabya. I’m unsure if it’s the identical factor as nylon shells, however the look appears similar. I like clams as a result of their refreshing and nutritious. They’re recognized to be good sources of iron and different nutritional vitamins and minerals.
Now, when shopping for clams and mussels, be sure that they’re alive. Shells of reside clams are closed. In the event that they’re open, they need to shut when you faucet them. In the event that they don’t shut, which means they’re lifeless. Additionally, keep away from clams with cracks on their shells. After cooking, recent clams and mussels ought to open. In the event that they don’t, that additionally means they’re lifeless. Discard them.
The recipe beneath is understood merely as Kabya or Kabya Soup. Not like clam chowders, it’s merely cooked to create a tasty broth. Positively considered one of my favorites.
Kabya (Clam) Soup Recipe
You will want:
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium-sized onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp ginger, peeled, crushed, and choped
- 2 kilos reside kabya (nylon clams)
- 4 cups water
- 1 tbsp patis (fish sauce)
- salt, pepper, and vetsin (MSG) to style
- 1 medium-sized sayote (chayote) or patola (luffa), peeled and chopped
How one can put together:
- Place the kabya clams in a deep tray. Add some water and a fistful of rock salt. Be sure that the tray is giant sufficient in order that the clams are submerged within the water. Depart it in a single day or just a few hours earlier than cooking. This may cleanse the clams by spitting out sand and dirt from their shells.
- In a big saucepan over medium warmth, sauté garlic, ginger, and onion. Add the kabya clams and the vegetable. Cooked for about 5 minutes whereas stirring often. Add water and the seasonings. Cowl. Simmer till the kabya clams have opened their shells and the vegetable are achieved.
- Serve with rice.