When you’re wanting for low-lift, substantial, vegetarian or vegan sandwich concepts, you’re going to need to make a deli-sized container of this chickpea salad sandwich filling. It is not solely good for actually nice chickpea salad sandwiches, it is also a favourite submitting in lettuce wraps, and a legit snack unfold all through the week. Whenever you go the sandwich route, it’s like a vegan “tuna salad” sandwich with chickpeas standing in for the tuna. Or rooster salad sandwich with chickpeas as an alternative of rooster. This isn’t a brand new idea, however I believed I’d stroll you thru the model I make round right here on many Sunday afternoons.
What I Love About This Sandwich
There are so many issues I like about this sandwich. I like the garlic-rubbed crunchiness of the bread in distinction to the softer chickpea salad filling. And I like that it retains me going for hours. Principally, it is scrumptious, and it does the job. When you maintain a giant container of this in your fridge, not solely are you able to make wonderful chickpea salad sandwiches all week, you’ll be able to change it up all kinds of the way I will define beneath.
Chickpea Salad Sandwich Elements
To take a median chickpea salad sandwich to the subsequent stage, concentrate to the components first. I am going sturdy quite a lot of the components others have a tendency to be a bit shy about, however I discover this strategy delivers a chickpea sandwich filling that hits all the suitable buttons, and is even higher on days two and three. The flavors actually come collectively. Listed here are some ideas on the components in this sandwich, and the way I select (or take care of) every one.
- Bread: I’m going to argue that there are two routes to go on the bread entrance. You’re both going to need to select slices of fine, hearty sourdough bread for this sandwich. Slices you’ll be able to toast or grill brushed with olive oil and rubbed with the higher a part of a clove of garlic. Or, take the fully reverse strategy by selecting a smooth, pillowy squishy loaf of some type of multi-grain sandwich bread. Possibly you evenly toast this bread, however possibly not. I most frequently choose for the toasted sourdough (pictured all through), and have a tendency to take pleasure in it open-faced this fashion, however there are occasions once I like this chickpea salad sandwich with a softer bread as nicely. I think you’ll know which camp you are in from go.
- Chickpeas: You smash the chickpeas, and to achieve this you will have a pair choices. As a result of I’ll do absolutely anything to keep away from unnecessarily having to wash an equipment, I sometimes hand-smash the chickpeas in a big bowl utilizing a big fork, or (even higher!) a potato masher. Some chickpeas are softer than others, it appears to range from can to can, and I discover chickpeas cooked from dry beans typically have extra construction. If you find yourself with tougher chickpeas, the fork methodology generally is a bit irritating. Seize a potato masher or a couple of fast pulses in a meals processor additionally does the trick. You need to break down the chickpeas, not try to flip them to hummus, so go simple on the pulsing.
- Mustard: I favor whole-grain mustard right here, however when you’ve got a Dijon-style mustard available, by all means use that. I additionally have a tendency to dial up the mustard fairly a bit – extra assertive, however nonetheless balanced I’d argue.
- Relish: I normally attain for no matter deli-style relish Wayne has in the fridge door. It’s normally on the sweeter aspect however doesn’t have to be.
- Walnuts: I like the feel and substance a couple of toasted walnuts convey to this sandwich. Give it a go, even should you’re a bit skeptical. I discovered myself out of walnuts for this spherical of sandwiches and actually loved the pine nut swap!
- Chile: I all the time add a finely chopped serrano to this chickpea salad sandwich filling, it provides dimension extra that spiciness, and a pleasant pop of inexperienced taste. Elective, after all, however really useful.
The recipe I’m posting down beneath is my base “go-to” chickpea salad sandwich recipe. However I like to mess around. Listed here are some variations I’ve loved over there years to encourage you to additionally experiment with the components you will have available.
- Extremely Hippie Chickpea Salad Sandwich: To the chickpea salad, add a pair handfuls of finely chopped kale & toasted sunflower seeds in place of the walnuts, and a tablespoon or so of dietary yeast. End with crushed toasted nori or nori furikake.
- Spicy Chickpea Salad Sandwich: I like a spicy all the things, however with this sandwich just like the lead spicy part *on* the sandwich, not combined in. Tabasco, Cholula, or different scorching sauce sprinkled throughout the highest of the chickpea salad part is the place it’s at for me. Calabrian Chile paste can also be A+ right here because the spicy topping.
- Vegan Chickpea Salad Sandwich: To make this sandwich vegan, use your favourite plant-based, vegan yogurt. You mainly need one thing to pull all of the components collectively, so should you don’t have a vegan yogurt available, you’ll be able to experiment with a vegan mayo, tahini, or a mix of the 2 as nicely. Preserve in thoughts, that is mainly a vegan “tuna” salad sandwich, with smashed chickpeas standing in for the tuna. And comparable to a tuna sandwich, it is extremely a lot about private choice and ingredient ratios.
The recipe included beneath is my base start line, however mess around a bit with the components you retain available and love. Different issues I like to combine in (not ): shredded basil in summer season, a smoked salt, finely shredded cabbage, shredded carrots, a pair teaspoons of miso, a little bit of preserved lemon. Have enjoyable, experiment, and let me know any favourite mixtures you provide you with.
I hope you take pleasure in this sandwich as a lot as I do, it truly is one in all my favourite, simple, feel-good lunches. When you love chickpeas as a lot as I do right here’s the place you’ll be able to browse extra chickpea recipes – there are tons! There are extra sandwich recipes, and a few of my favorites embody this Vegetarian TLT Sandwich, basic Egg Salad Sandwich, Grillable Tofu Burgers. Or should you’re simply wanting for simple methods to mix good bread with good toppings, it is onerous to beat bruschetta, and I discuss by how to adapt it for the seasons on that web page – past tomatoes ;).