Final Sunday, my father and I ready the proper merienda for the household — Banana Turon. Really, it was my mom who requested us to prepare dinner Turon to be offered exterior our home as a day avenue snack alongside my sister’s Halo-halo. However I found some vanilla and ube ice lotions within the freezer, so I feel the household virtually ate half of the Turons that we made.
Turon is a candy roll of saba banana and jackfruit (langka) coated with caramelized sugar and enclosed in lumpia wrapper. In my native city Malabon, it’s domestically referred to as Valencia, and the Turon the now we have all the time recognized has a munggo filling as a substitute of banana. It’s often served as a day snack, though some posh Filipino eating places serve it as a dessert “a la mode” which typically comes with an unreasonable price ticket.
A lot of the substances of Turon are literally cheap. Saba bananas are low cost and nutritious. You should buy jackfruit flesh in tingi (small parts). The truth is, we promote one piece of Turon for less than P15. Nonetheless, preparation may be laborious labor, particularly when you’re not used to rolling and wrapping and protecting every part neat and tidy.
Earlier than you begin cooking, right here’s a number of notes in shopping for the fruit substances: ensure that the saba bananas are ripe, presumably with black spots on the pores and skin, delicate to the contact, however not mushy; jackfruit flesh should be golden yellow and candy smelling. Utilizing unripe fruits might outcome to a gummy chew which isn’t very appetizing.
Yield: Makes 10 items.
You will have:
- 10 pcs ripe saba banana, reduce in half lengthwise
- 1/2 cup ripe jackfruit (langka) flesh, shredded
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 10 pcs lumpia wrapper
- vegetable oil for deep frying
How one can put together:
- Put some brown sugar in a bowl the place you’ll be able to roll the saba items.
- Pour some chilly water in a small bowl. You’ll use this to seal the lumpia wrapper.
- Place a sheet of lumpia wrapper on a flat, broad plate.
- Coat two halves of saba with brown sugar and place them side-by-side on the middle of the lumpia wrapper. Add about 4 strips of jackfruit on high.
- Fold the aspect of lumpia wrapper nearest you to cowl the saba. Fold the left and proper sides inwards to shut the ends. Dip your fingers into the bowl of water and moisten the final aspect of the wrapper earlier than folding to shut. The water helps in sealing the wrapper. Repeat steps with the remainder of the substances.
- Warmth sufficient oil in a deep pan over medium flame. Deep fry the items for about 5 minutes or till golden brown. Drain extra oil utilizing a strainer or paper towel.
- Serve it as it’s or together with your favourite ice cream. Mud it with some cocoa powder or drizzle it with some chocolate syrup, caramel syrup, or condensed milk.