After I was working within the provinces, I used to be stunned that not lots of people within the Visayas and Mindanao eat tahong or mussels. Though there are fishing villages the place they domesticate tahong for business comsumptions, some folks suppose that tahong is soiled as a result of they thrive in murky, muddy waters.
Another excuse might be due to the abundance of different seafoods within the provinces that’s why the common-or-garden tahong just isn’t getting its due respect. As an example, most individuals would like talaba (oyster) over tahong.
However oysters in Manila may be very costly particularly for those who order it out from a elaborate restaurant. I keep in mind ordering talaba in Iloilo — a small basin filled with oysters solely value 35 pesos. Tremendous low cost, di ba?
Anyway, right here’s a preferred tahong dish that my household at all times prepares after we crave for seafood. Some name it Tinolang Tahong or Sabaw ng Tahong. There’s a time period my Lola used to name this dish earlier than, however I coudn’t keep in mind it.
There are two model of this: one is ginisa (sauted in garlic and onion) and the opposite one is nilaga (stew). What I’ve beneath is ginisa as a result of it’s extra flavorful. I’ll simply name this dish Sinabawang Tahong for the imply time till I keep in mind the title. Get pleasure from!
Sinabawang Tahong Recipe
You will want:
- 1 tspn cooking oil
- 1 tspn butter (elective)
- 1 tspn garlic, minced
- 1 medium-sized onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp ginger, peeled and julienned
- 1 kilo tahong (mussels), shells cleansed
- 2 cups of water
- 1 tspn fish sauce (patis)
- salt and pepper to style
- In a big sauce pan over medium warmth, saute garlic, onion, and ginger in oil and butter. When the onion turns into transluscent, add the tahong. Stir often for about two minutes.
- Add water, patis, salt, and pepper. Convey to a boil stirring often. Simmer till the tahong shells are open. Discard the shells that didn’t open. Professional tip: don’t overcook the tahong! The flesh will shrink if cooked for too lengthy.
- Style the soup. Add salt, if wanted.
- Serve with steamed rice. Eat together with your fingers! Most well-liked condiment is a combination of white vinegar and patis.